Monday, January 30, 2017

January 2017 -- Brought to you by #6 and Purple

Let's kick of January with APQ challenge for item #6 and the Scrap Challenge for Purple. 
Image result for count von count 6
Part of the all people Quilt challenge this month was item #6 -- for me this was last year's BOM from Sewingly Yours, it needed quilting and binding. -- I got this one completed by mid month. 

The SoScrappy color this month was Purple, so I made my 1st scrap bin (-1 yard)
Turns out it was the wrong size so I gifted it to a friend and made another one that fits in the space better. (-2 yards)
Thanks to a time off with a stomach virus I fount myself home a few days mid month and I was able to work on some other colored scrap projects to make a dent in the very full purple bin. (-3 yards) 

This year I have decided to make a patchwork chunk each month and once the 6 dominate rainbow colors are made I'll have a good size improv throw -- here's the purple starting point. 
My next choice was inspired by a bee block that I made for Laura this month called Paint Chips but instead of putting in the neutrals I started patching together the strings. strips and smaller chunks of scraps into long rows or varying widths -- based solely on the common size of my scraps (these happen to be 4, 5 and 7.5). I plan to make these in each color through out the year for another rainbow quilt . 
 
I made some Kitten blocks this month and may add to this throughout the year. 
I also took my long 2.5 inch strips and 2 inch strips and made a jelly roll race style quilt from them -- this will be quilted up and donated to charity, I also pulled out fabric for backing (-5 yards)
There are still a good dose of purple scraps for future projects and bee blocks but I am ready to work on another color next month. 

In other quilting news, on New Years day I managed my first finish of the year -- the EEVEE project I have been working on for a friend. (-1.5 yards)
I signed up for another traveling quilt that started this month so I did a fabric pull for that and made my starting block (-3 yards) 
Stash Bee kicked off the year with these fun paint chip blocks for Laura (-.5 yards) -- I also put together some extra colored patches that she can finish up with some neutrals for her quilt.
I was the queen for the triple block bee so I started with my sample blocks (-.5 yards) and made a few extras (-.5 yards) 
my hive mates came through with these blocks so far -- 12 more yet to come in but I know most of them are in the mail already.
I'm also doing the Bee Hive group again this year and it actually got a late start because of needing more participants so hopefully this one will roll into the rotation next month. 

This month I had Marth's Traveling quilt and added the feather blocks to the bottom. (-1 yard) 
I completed my project for the upcoming Pink Swap and it's ready to ship out early February. (-2 yards)
While I was sick I also found some orphan HST units that needed to be turned into this quick pouch that will be a gift. (-1 yard)
I went to a local shops yard sale and scored a sew steady table for my feather weight, and 6 yards of fabric. 
The last weekend of the month I got started on the last of the traveling quilts from 2016 -- Jana's Traveling Quilt with the Sea theme so I added some Palm blocks (-2 yards)  I actually finished her traveling quilt as well so it looks like only one traveling quilt to work on next month instead of 2.
As a Bonus APQ finish this month was a smaller throw size version of my Jewel Box quilt that will be gifted very soon. (-3 yards)


January was a good month for sewing and I made significant progress on several items and had 7 completions. I only purchased 6 yards of fabric but managed to use 26 yards. I also took a class and got certified to use the long arm at my LQS -- maybe this will mean quicker finishes in the future.

Moving right along with these quarterly goals 

4 comments:

  1. These are all awesome projects! I haven't managed to work on any RSC blocks this month, but hopefully I'll catch up next month. How many scrappy baskets are you going to try to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a busy month you had!! I am totally blown away by your productivity and the variety of your projects. LOVE those PURPLE scrappy things and that wonderful newly completed quilt!! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a month! You are rockin' it. February is a short month ahead of us, but I'll bet you can keep the pace. So many pretty projects, I don't know which one I like best. Except the EEVEE is sure cute. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all fabulous projects! Thanks for participating in the 2017 FAL on behalf of the global hosts!

    ReplyDelete