Friday, July 19, 2013

Blog Hop -- it's finally my turn.

I'm so excited to be a part of this blog hop and want to thank Beth of Plum and June for organizing it!
I’m fairly new to blogging (just since the beginning of the year) and know there is a plethora more that I have to learn to make my blog more interesting to others. I use this blog mainly to chronicle projects that I am working on and projects that I have ongoing. I have been a quilter for several years ago and before that I was very much into scrapbooking – similar end goal but different medium. I like both crafts because they are very personal and touch our hearts in ways that other activities just don’t – but that could be just me.
City Scape (paper pieced flowers)
Candy Crush
Kelly's Calypso Carnival
Designer's Showcase
So a little about me ---
I work at a state agency and that’s nice because it doesn’t burn up my creativity for when I am crafting. My husband and I are very much homebodies, we love watching movies, playing video games and being creative – nothing that involves going in the sun for extended periods of time. I am an avid collector of many things but my largest collection is of Alice in Wonderland items and my sewing space is reflective of that whimsical spirit. We have 4 fur babies – all kitties and they are frequently mentioned in blogging and especially on my instagram.  

Hurley (L) and Kahn (R)
Nugget
Hurley, Nugget and Monkey
About my Quilting –
Like I mentioned before I am a collector of things and have been quilting for a while – so one of my collections is my fabric stash (not as impressive as some but I love it), not all things in there are modern or even pretty but they all have a place in my home. I quilt on a Viking Tribute mainly but have a traveling Hello Kitty Janome that provides me with an outlet for quilting wherever I am in those wasted moments – like waiting for a car repair. My sewing studio is the master bedroom in our home and is in a state of constant rearrangement because the furniture just doesn't seem to fit in there like it does in the magazines. I am getting closer to the perfect space I think but time will tell.
A Little bit more –
  • I am a list maker and love to set goals for myself.
  • I love my guild and have recently been nominated for an officer position – even though I just joined in Jan.
  • I am continually learning new things and hope to expand my quilting into bags and pouches in the future.
  • I have recently started setting up at craft shows and events – but haven’t had a great experience with this yet, I’m hoping that the fall brings better results.
  • I also love doing swaps – I’m currently only signed up for the Sister thing Swap so I’m looking for others to take part in.
  • I have a hard time deciding if I like my stash better or my recently organized scraps – but I know I love how both are now organized. I love going to a few of my LQS because they do scrap bags where you fill your own bag, but it’s very addicting.
  • I was asked a few months ago to become the tracker of the traveling stash boxes and have a great deal of fun meeting new people this way.
  • I have 2 ongoing block of the … projects. One is a block of the month designing flower blocks and the other is a block of the week project where I am challenging myself to use all neutrals and mostly scraps.

So thanks for stopping by everyone and let me know you were here, I love feedback and talking to other quilters – so for now that’s the dish. Happy Quilting everyone.

Check out these other great bloggers participating this week
Www.modernhandcraft.com

48 comments:

  1. Wonderful to get to know you. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your creating space. You have beautiful fur babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you through the hop. I also did/do scrapbooking and really find the many similarities between the two hobbies. I often find myself looking at scrapbook paper and wishing I could find the pattern/colour in fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Katie! It has been such a pleasure to get to know you this summer through the hop. Thanks for sharing a little more about you. I love your projects and fabric drawer... And I am sure my daughter would love to snuggle up with the mass of fur in the corner of your couch! Ha, ha! Looking forward to continuing to follow your blog. Can't wait to see what you share next!

    Lorna:)
    http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi katie,
    I really enjoyed getting to know you. I love your free spirit style with your fabric! And of course your furbabies!~ I am a new follower!
    Have fun
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from the hop! I feel like we're neighbors since I'm in the triangle. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fabric drawer is impressive! Nice to get to know you better and Congrats on being nominated for an officer position.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice to meet you! Your fabric drawer is so organized and pretty :) You kitties are absolutely adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what cute kitties! I wish my fabric was so nicely organized

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to meet you! Sounds like your kist making will keep you on track for more great projects. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute cats! You have a really nice way with bright colors. :) Interesting that you're now attempting something just with neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to get know you more! My cats insist on helping me too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice to meet you - I'm with you on the quilt guilds - they are great and a wonderful way to meet friends!! Your projects are all very happy - I love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to meet you via the blog hop! I love that you have a Hello Kitty machine--those are so cute! I can empathize with disorganization--your fabric looks very organized compared to my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep offering to buy my daughters a Hello Kitty sewing machine if they would come sew with me...no takers, yet, so maybe I will just get it for myself! It's nice to meet you as a result of this hop. So glad you have a guild to belong to and congratulations on being nominated for officer - hope it all goes great! I am impressed by how organized your fabric is - good thing you can't see my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet your Katie! Having a travel machine on hand for those moments that would otherwise be wasted is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to meet you through the hop Katie! your quilts are beautiful (love the herringbone one) and you kitties are just darling!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to meet you through the blog hop! My husband and I are homebodies too. I tell my friends that if they want together it needs to be indoors because I'm allergic to the sun. I may just be living in the wrong place, I live in very sunny Los Angeles!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Katie! I've known about you for awhile now through my blog, but what I don't think I realized is you are in NC! Near my sister to be exact! So if I am ever in the area, we could head to a local quilt shop, if you like. Thanks for opening yourself up a little with us! (I'm a homebody too, though most people wouldn't guess that about me.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also work for a state agency. Not too much creativity in accounting. I love that I can quilt as an outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great post! I love the hourglass quilt you made! It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So nice to meet you through the Hop! What a brilliant idea to have a traveling machine!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know I was immediately attracted to that QST quilt! So bright and intense... What's not to love about fuchsia?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It would be hard to do any quilting with those cute furry friends around tempting you for a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool flower block. I wish I had shop that did scrap bags; what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely projects, especially the candy crush...I'm a lover of lists too and cats, I love cats too :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I love your fabric draw, I wish I were so tidy! You are super creative, great meeting you through the Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely post! I absolutely love your City Scape quilt and your kitties are absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great to meet you! Lovely quilt work and those fur babies are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful post - thanks for sharing so much about yourself. Kelly's Calypso Carnival quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I too was really into scrap booking. I simplified it by using Becky Higgins' project life products, love them:) Great to meet you on the hop and love seeing your quilty projects!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice to meet you! I like your paper-pieced daffodil. I tried my first real paper-pieced block today (after only doing some very, very simple triangle paper piecing) and really enjoyed the process. I see what the fuss is about! My block was a flower, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good luck keeping the traveling boxes organized! Your fabrics look great arranged in rainbows. Lists keep me in line too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your Candy Crush and Calypso Carnival are so bright and fun! Your fabrics look very organised......one day I'll be that organised too (honest!)....

    ReplyDelete
  34. Loving the rainbow bright quilts! Great blog hop post!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice to meet you through the hop! Nice quilts and very cute cats :) I have followed that stash box and never have got the bugger! I've lost where it is now. Look forward to more from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can't believe you take a sewing machine with you to do a bit of sewing while you get the car repaired! Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It was nice getting to know you. I have two senior cats (16 years old) and even though they are sisters, they don't get along. I like how yours snuggle up together.

    ReplyDelete
  38. your cat is adorable and i love candy crush! what a bright and fun quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Travel machine is a good idea. Love your fabric drawer. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looove your organization - your fabrainbow drawers are awesome!!! Visiting from the blog hop. Nice to meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. So nice to meet you via Blog hoping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love your fabric storage in the drawers!!! Great idea. Lovely quilts too. I love a good list:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your fabric stash looks very pretty and I love your Candy Crush quilt. It's so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Those paper pieced flowers in your cityscape quilt are absolutely lovely! Thank you for sharing, it was great meeting you on the hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nice to meet you on the blog hop! How nice to have a traveling machine! You are much braver than I when it comes to using color! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Lovely to meet you via the hop - you have quite a nice stash!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lovely to meet you -- that drawer full of fabric is quite delectable!

    ReplyDelete